Welcome

I try to update as often as I have time and I hope you enjoy the updates on the kids. Honestly, sometimes I forget about it until someone mentions to me that they check it for updates. I will try to stay on this and keep everyone posted on our family! Thanks!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lauren's first trip to Childrens Mercy Hospital



Lauren was born perfectly healthy but with two clubbed feet. We are so thankful for the doctors and treatment that she is able to have working with her. It is going to be a long process but it will be well worth it when we are able to watch our beautiful little girl walk, run and play sports. Our pediatrician referred us to Children's Mercy in Kansas City and we made our first trip there last week. The treatment plan is to apply casts on her feet weekly for five to eight weeks. This requires us to travel to Kansas City every Tuesday for new casts. I have to say I hated watching them cast her because she cried and I cried but she doesn't act like they bother her at all. After her feet are turned in the right position she will have a small out patient surgery. Then she will have casts for three weeks. Then she will have a brace and shoes that she has to wear 20 hours a day for two to three months. After that she will have to wear a brace only at night until she is three years old. They way that they explained it to us is that her feet are like teeth when you put braces on them. They might be straight but if you don't wear the retainer then they will turn back to the original state, that is why she has to wear the brace. Here are some pictures from her first trip.




She was not happy when they put the cast on until they gave her the sugar-water pacifier.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Made me cry to "watch" the casting but I know it will be worth it. They said my precious granddaughter was 1 in 1000 with this kind of clubbed feet but I think she is one in a million. Grammy loves you so much Lauren!