Welcome

I try to update as often as I have time and I hope you enjoy the updates on the kids. Honestly, sometimes I forget about it until someone mentions to me that they check it for updates. I will try to stay on this and keep everyone posted on our family! Thanks!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Made it past the surgery!!!

Yesterday Lauren had her surgery to lengthen her Achilles Tendon and the surgeon said that she did great! It went much better than I had imagined in my mind. She couldn't eat past 3:30 and had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am, with surgery starting at 8:00. I pictured a screaming child so hungry she couldn't stop crying. She proved me wrong, we woke her up at 2:30 and fed her and she went right back to sleep and slept until it was time to go to the hospital. They gave her a flavored pacifier and a warm blanket and she was peaceful. Great start to a long day.... then they brought in the waivers that we had to sign. I told Sam, "I know it is a tiny chance, but that word possible 'death' on that waiver looked like it was written in 72 font." I really couldn't see anything else on the page. Sam was calm as a cucumber and I was sweating like a pig, but that is typical.
I do have to say that Childrens Mercy Hospital is wonderful; the nurses, doctors and staff communicate with parents very well and sit down to answer as many questions as you have for them, never making you feel uncomfortable for asking. The hardest part of the whole day was handing her off and walking away. I really try not to judge people in my every day life, but when you are handing your baby off to people you all the sudden catch yourself inspecting each and every person that comes close to her.
Her surgery took about an hour and the doctor came down to the waiting room to meet with us and report to us that she did great. He said that she has to wear the casts that they put on after surgery for two weeks, five days and then she gets her brace. After speaking with the doctor we had to wait about thirty more minutes for her to wake up and then they called us up to the recovery room. She woke up a little cranky but not bad. I expected that we would have to stay awhile, but they let us leave with her right then.
Lauren is doing great! Yesterday she seemed a little sore but she is back to normal today. Thank you to everyone that was praying, calling and emailing. We really appreciate the support and will keep you posted!

No comments: